Many homeowners enjoy spending time out on their patios and want to make their patios suit their needs. Some want protection from the elements, others want to cook and dine outdoors, and others need a lot of seating for entertaining guests. However you like to spend time outdoors, the patio options available to you can take your outdoor space to the next level. Here are some ideas for features and structures that can improve your patio and outdoor space.
Covers and Shade Structures
Some of the most popular patio options for homeowners are structures that provide cover and shade, which take many forms based on peoples’ preferences.
- Pergolas are freestanding structures, typically made from wood, that provide partial overhead coverage and are especially beautiful with plant or canopy accents.
- A pavilion is another freestanding structure similar to a pergola: the main difference being that a pavilion has a fully-covered roof. Pavilions provide plenty of coverage for backyard areas like a grill.
- Shade sails are outdoor covers made from fabric that offer shade (and look similar to the sails of a boat) and are ideally installed over decks or patios.
Each of these structures and coverings has unique designs and is excellent if you want to keep UV rays and rain from messing up your outdoor fun.
A growing trend among homeowners who want to improve their patios and backyards is to add an outdoor kitchen or dining area. Both of these patio options make your space noteworthy and exceptional while also having many design possibilities. For example, if you like to cook outdoors and want an outdoor kitchen designed for entertainment, you can add a bar or island so your friends and family can chat while cooking. You can also add various cooking tools and features, such as pizza ovens or beer taps, to give you more options. And these can be outfitted with additional features like warming drawers, sinks, and refrigerators to make your outdoor kitchen as high-tech as your indoor kitchen.
More and more homeowners are adding outdoor furniture to their patios for extra seating, but one of the more creative ways people add additional seating is with seating walls. A seating wall is a short wall designed for seating, combining all of the benefits of a place to sit with retaining walls. In addition, while weatherproof and resistant outdoor furniture exists, a seating wall can easily withstand exposure to sunlight, rain, snow, and other weather. So if you need to control a slope in your yard, repurpose a retaining wall, or want to define where the patio ends and the yard begins, seating walls are great choices.
Seating walls also work when paired with other patio features. For example, a fire pit makes for a great central location to gather around for entertainment, and a seating wall can accommodate many people while reflecting heat from the fire for a cozy lounge area.
Other Patio Options
In addition to the options listed above, here are a few other ways to improve your patio.
- Fireplaces and fire pits, as mentioned previously, are great for creating comforting and inviting entertainment spaces.
- Sound systems give entertainment options, like playing music when hosting a party with friends and family.
- Adding plants around the patio is ideal for nature lovers and those who appreciate their landscape.
Contact Burkholder for Patio & Landscape Design
Do you have a preference for one or more of these many patio options? If you want them to be incorporated in your landscape, contact Burkholder Brothers. Burkholder’s landscape design experts will work closely with you through a proven design process to arrive at concepts suited to your needs, sense of style, and home. We have worked with Main Line residents for decades, building pergolas or pavilions and designing and maintaining their landscapes. In addition, we offer a range of choices that maximize style and detail while respecting the project budget. Contact us today for a consultation!